A haven for wildlife, surely Borneo’s most coveted attraction is its unspoilt rainforests. The island’s orangutans are its most famous inhabitant, but its rich cultural tapestry and fascinating history are also key incentives for travellers.
Where the jungle meets the coast you’ll discover pristine beaches and coral reefs, a paradise retreat in a natural, exotic location. This ‘off the beaten track’ island awaits your discovery.
Many rare species call Borneo home, from the wild orangutans that swing through the jungle canopy, through to the Asian elephants, turtles and Proboscis monkeys.
Encounter these wonderful creatures in their natural habitat and witness the magic of the island’s epic biodiversity up close and personal. Once such resort, as featured in Judi Dench’s Wild Borneo Adventure, is the Gaya Island Resort which offers unique ecological sights including the 7 wonders of Gaya.
Both green and hawksbill turtles are native to the waters of the South China Sea. Take a trip to Turtle Island, a National Park, designated to protect newly-laid eggs and hatchlings. Learn about the conservation programme and tour the island’s hatchery area.
- Popular experiences include a private beach barbeque, sunset cruise cocktails, an interactive cooking class, and snorkelling safaris.
- Families of proboscis monkeys live on Gaya Island and you may be lucky enough to spot one and other wildlife too.
- Discover the local flora and fauna on a nature walk with the resort’s resident Naturalist.
- Visit the resort’s Marine Centre, and learn how they have rescued green sea turtles and are rejuvenating the reefs with their coral nursery.
- Set amidst lush mangroves, Spa Village Gaya Island is a tranquil hideaway and the treatments utilise only the finest fresh local ingredients.
- Explore the resort’s enchanting 64-acre forest reserve location by Pantai Dalit’s white sandy beach.
- Older kids will enjoy watersports, tennis, wall climbing, white water rafting, kickboxing and adventure biking.
- Kids can become Rangers for the day with night walks complete with night vision goggles.
- Enjoy the elegant spa, an 18-hole championship golf course and over 60 water and land activities.
The large resort offers accommodation across two wings. The décor is neutral but makes good use of traditional textures and artwork of Borneo which is coupled with a range of modern comforts ensuring guests receive the five-star service typical of a Shangri-La resort. The two types of room offer either extended views out across the sea or over to the ice-capped Mount Kinabalu. Activities are p...
Explore the Borneo rainforest and relax on the unspoilt beach at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort before hitting the exciting city of Hong Kong for shopping and fun! You're guaranteed an excellent level of service; accommodation and facilities with stays in the Shangri-La hotels in both areas. Accommodation Details Shangri-La Rasa Ria Resort: 7 nights, bed & breakfast Island Shangri-La Hong Kong: 3 ...
Discover the cosmopolitan city of Kuala Lumpur, a melting pot of temples, mosques, China Town and the futuristic Petronas Towers. Stay at elegant The Majestic Hotel, KL’s only heritage hotel then travel on to Borneo and experience beautiful Gaya Island Resort, an eco-resort in a marine conservation area. Accommodation Details: The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur: 2 nights, room only Gaya Island Reso...
It is only a two and a half hour flight from Singapore to Borneo making it an easy way to explore the colourful sights of Singapore before looking for colourful wildlife in Borneo. Accommodation Details Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort: 7 nights, room only Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore: 3 nights, room only...
- Visit the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre for the morning orang utan feeding
- Look for Borneo's iconic Proboscis monkey, orangutans or pygmy elephants
- Take a dip in the hot sulphur baths
- Appreciate the imposing beauty of Mount Kinabalu
- Learn about orangutans and see how they are rehabilitated for release in to the wild
- Walk along the 41 metre high Canopy Walkway to see amazing views of the rainforest
- Join a tree planting project with the locals
Gaya Island Resort is a stunning eco-resort in Borneo where you can snorkel, hike, spot bird and wildlife, take a cooking class or just lie on the beach. Follow this up with a relaxing stay at a Spa resort on Bali where Spa treatments are included in your stay. Accommodation Details Gaya Island Resort: 4 nights, bed & breakfast Spa Village Resort Tembok Bali: 4 nights, full board...
Experience the buzzing cities of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur contrasting with the rainforest, beach and wildlife of Borneo. Accommodation Details: Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur: 3 nights, bed & breakfast Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort: 5 nights, room only Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore: 2 nights, room only...
When to go to Malaysian Borneo
Travelling outside of the months of November to February is generally recommended. You’re more likely to see orang-utans from April and you can well expect humidity and some rain throughout the year; hence why the rainforests are so lush.
What to do in Malaysian Borneo
A haven for wildlife, surely Borneo’s most coveted attraction is its unspoilt rainforests. The island’s orangutans are its most famous inhabitant, but you’ll also discover pristine beaches and coral reefs, as well as plenty more unusual wildlife, like the cheeky Proboscis monkeys.
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details