- Popular experiences include a private beach barbeque, sunset cruise cocktails, an interactive cooking class, and snorkelling safaris.
- Families of proboscis monkeys live on Gaya Island and you may be lucky enough to spot one and other wildlife too.
- Discover the local flora and fauna on a nature walk with the resort’s resident Naturalist.
- Visit the resort’s Marine Centre, and learn how they have rescued green sea turtles and are rejuvenating the reefs with their coral nursery.
- Set amidst lush mangroves, Spa Village Gaya Island is a tranquil hideaway and the treatments utilise only the finest fresh local ingredients.
The large resort offers accommodation across two wings. The décor is neutral but makes good use of traditional textures and artwork of Borneo which is coupled with a range of modern comforts ensuring guests receive the five-star service typical of a Shangri-La resort. The two types of room offer either extended views out across the sea or over to the ice-capped Mount Kinabalu. Activities are p...
Set just outside the city of Kota Kinabalu in an idyllic hideaway beach location, Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa offers a rustic back-to nature experience in a luxury setting. At the heart of the hotel is its commitment to wildlife and with this, a Nature Reserve has been founded in partnership with the Sabah Wildlife Department. Guests are offered the opportunity to learn about the natural ...
When to go to Malaysian Borneo
Travelling outside of the months of November to February is generally recommended. You’re more likely to see orang-utans from April and you can well expect humidity and some rain throughout the year; hence why the rainforests are so lush.
What to do in Malaysian Borneo
A haven for wildlife, surely Borneo’s most coveted attraction is its unspoilt rainforests. The island’s orangutans are its most famous inhabitant, but you’ll also discover pristine beaches and coral reefs, as well as plenty more unusual wildlife, like the cheeky Proboscis monkeys.
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details