Situated within the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, this serene resort town is the perfect counter to Tokyo’s hustle and bustle.
This is one of the very best places in Japan for views of famous Mount Fuji; whether you’re relaxing in a hot spring, taking a sightseeing cruise on Lake Ashinoko, or enjoying the aerial views from the Hakone Ropeway.
Popular with Japanese and international visitors alike, Hakone is famous for its hot springs. There are over a dozen here, which provide fresh hot water to the many onsen (spa) and ryokan (Japanese inn) houses. One of the most iconic attractions is the Hakone Shrine and accompanying magnificent torii gates. While another not-to-be-missed sight is the huge field of silvery pampas grass at Sengokuhara.
Visit Owakudani, a crater caused by the eruption of Mount Hakone over 3,000 years ago; today the area is still volcanically active, filled with sulphurous gases, hot springs and rivers. Adventurous guests can try sulfur-blackened eggs, cooked naturally in the thermal water! The breathtaking Lake Ashinoko was also formed by the volcanic event and is best explored by sightseeing cruise.
Many of Hakone’s main attractions are accessible by the Tozan Railway, which climbs the steepest rails in the country, and offers expansive views out over the valley and Hayakawa River. At Kowakidani Station you can visit Hakone Kowakien Ynessun, the hot spring theme park and public bath; while at Chokoku-no-Mori Station you’ll find the Hakone Open Air Museum, home to outdoor sculptures and the Picasso Pavilion. The Tozan Railway terminates at Gora, where nearby attractions include the Hakone Museum of Art and Gora-Koen Park, where you can admire seasonal flora or try your hand at making pottery or blowing glass.
Newly-opened in the heart of enchanting Hakone, Japanese touches are artfully added to this contemporary property, nestled in the lush hillside and boasting beautiful mountain views. Not far from iconic Mount Fuji, explore further this truly breathtaking area of Japan, characterised by green forests, rural towns and volcanic hot spring onsen. Enjoy authentic yoga sessions overlooked by trees, hike...
- Explore the contrasting shopping streets of Nakamise and Omotesando in Tokyo
- Take a boat ride on volcanic Lake Ashi and hopefully catch a glimpse of Mount Fuji
- Discover the breath-taking beauty of Kanazawa’s Kenrokuen Garden
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage listed Shirakawago village with its ‘praying hands’ rooftops
- Explore the Sensoji Temple and the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo
- Indulge in a gourmet Japanese Kaiseki dinner during your stay at a ryokan
- Discover “Shodo”, the art of Japanese calligraphy
- Be entertained by a Geisha or Maiko at a special dinner
- Enjoy a traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony
- Learn about the legendary samurai warriors and the basics of the sword-dance, Kenbu
- Visit stunning Fushimi Inari Shrine with its 10,000 red torii gates
- Experience the thrill of the iconic Bullet Train
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details