There’s plenty of history and even more natural beauty to discover in this famous city.
Today, the city embodies hope, with plenty of scenery and culture to explore, though the tragic events of 1945 are remembered in touching memorials and shrines that are unmissable.
The most famous landmark here is the World Heritage-listed Genbaku Dome, part of the Peace Memorial Park. Spread over 120,000-square-metres, the landscaped park was formerly the political capital of the city. The dome is what was left of the Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall after the bomb, and was left standing as a reminder of the past. The park is also home to the Peace Memorial Museum; you may encounter school groups here, as it’s mandatory for all children in Japan to visit this fascinating, moving and incredibly educational place.
Downtown Hiroshima is bustling and full of shops and exciting eateries; wander down Hondori Street, which starts near Peace Memorial Park. Towards the eastern end of the street, you’ll find Okonomimura, where you’ll find plenty of places to sample the local delicacy okonomiyaki – a filled savoury pancake.
For panoramic views of the city, head to the five-storey Hiroshima Castle, and don’t miss the beautiful Shukkeien Garden, where you can explore miniature landscapes and enjoy the scenery at a tea house.
Hiroshima is surrounded by natural beauty, with valleys, rivers, mountains and rolling plains. North of Hiroshima you’ll see the Chugoku Mountains, which tower approximately 1,000 metres high.
- So much to see including Nijo Castle, Fushimi Inari Shrine, and Togetsukyo Bridge
- Explore Itsukushima shrine and admire the iconic floating Torii gate
- Take a ride on the amazing Bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo
- Experience a traditional tea ceremony
The excellent Sheraton Grand Hiroshima Hotel is conveniently located just a one-minute walk from Hiroshima train station, so the famous Japanese bullet train is easily accessed. The hotel’s Japanese restaurant and bar, Miyabi-Tei, serves traditional fare and has a teppanyaki and sushi counter. Buffet restaurant, Bridges offers a diverse range of quality cuisine, with many dishes made to order by c...
Located in Moto-Ujina Park on Hiroshima Bay, this impressive hotel is surrounded by the natural beauty of Setonaikai National Park, yet just 15 minutes by car from the centre of Hiroshima. Look out on panoramic vistas with a drink in hand at Top of Hiroshima Lounge; the hotel bar on the top floor. Fantastic views can also be enjoyed from every guestroom. When you’re not out exploring your surround...
- Experience a traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony.
- Experience being a samurai warrior and learn the basics of Kenbu.
- Visit the iconic Fushimi Inari Shrine with its 10,000 red torii gates.
- Experience the speed of the iconic Bullet Train.
- Explore the contrasting shopping streets of Nakamise and Omotesando in Tokyo
- Take a boat ride on volcanic Lake Ashi and hopefully catch a glimpse of Mount Fuji
- Discover the breath-taking beauty of Kanazawa’s Kenrokuen Garden
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage listed Shirakawago village with its ‘praying hands’ rooftops
- See both sides of old and modern Tokyo
- Visit the stunning “floating Torii gate” at Miyajima Island
- Listen to the ‘chirping’ nightingale floors as you walk through Nijo Castle
- Experience a traditional Japanese tea ceremony with a professional instructor
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details