Kyoto is bursting with fascinating history, inspiring culture and breathtaking sights.
Centrally located on the island of Honshu, Kyoto is famous for its temples, culture, history and architecture.
The city was named Japan’s capital in the 8th century and flourished as a centre for culture, politics and the country’s economy until Tokyo was named the new capital in the 19th century. Kyoto was largely unscathed by the bombings Japan suffered during the world wars, so much of the historic architecture built during the city’s heyday as a capital of culture remains to this day.
Famous and important sites to explore here include the 17 Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto, which are UNESCO World Heritage-listed.
Just some of the unmissable sights include the magnificent Nijo Castle, Kinkakuji (also known as the Golden Temple), the rock garden at Ryoanji temple, and the Higashiyama District, home to Kiyomizudera temple. Stop to dine in the Pontocho district, wander the stalls and get a taste for Japan at Nishiki Market, and make sure to visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine, an important Shinto site known for its torii gates.
Our Travel Specialists recommend spending at least three nights here, as there is so much to see, do and discover. Kyoto has a humid subtropical climate; rainy season usually begins around mid-June, giving way to hot and sunny weather towards the end of July.
- So much to see including Nijo Castle, Fushimi Inari Shrine, and Togetsukyo Bridge
- Explore Itsukushima shrine and admire the iconic floating Torii gate
- Take a ride on the amazing Bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo
- Experience a traditional tea ceremony
It might be the sense of heritage here, what with a history dating back to the 17th century when the property was built as a mansion for noble Suminokura Ryoi, before subsequently being transformed into a ryokan inn more than 100 years ago. Perhaps it’s the Zen Garden, brimming with maple and cherry trees, mossy stones and trickling waters of Oi River; or maybe the distant sounds of bells chimin...
- See both sides of old and modern Tokyo
- Visit the stunning “floating Torii gate” at Miyajima Island
- Listen to the ‘chirping’ nightingale floors as you walk through Nijo Castle
- Experience a traditional Japanese tea ceremony with a professional instructor
Pick a room, check in, and head out to explore Kyoto’s main attractions from the famous Higashiyama District, safe in the knowledge that you have a helpful concierge team, well-equipped hotel and spacious ‘guestroom with a view’ to return to at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto. Certainly one of the city’s leading luxury properties, you can expect a host of spa treatments that go further than most here, inc...
Don’t be fooled by the Four Seasons Hotel Kyoto’s cutting-edge external architecture as you arrive, nor the grand central lobby lined with marble or towering glass-clad atrium, as when you look a little harder you’re faced with a luxury Kyoto property that’s actually very proud of its Japanese heritage and history. The designers of this unique resort have since suggested their aim was to create ce...
This is a decadent city hideaway that flaunts the best of both worlds. Enthroned on the banks above Kyoto’s Kamogawa River, this five-star hotel starts with an enviable location that puts it within touching distance of the ancient city’s best highlights, but with views of the Higashiyama Mountains too. Its own zen gardens and waterfalls create a soul-soothing ambience, which extends throughout th...
- Explore the Sensoji Temple and the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo
- Indulge in a gourmet Japanese Kaiseki dinner during your stay at a ryokan
- Discover “Shodo”, the art of Japanese calligraphy
- Be entertained by a Geisha or Maiko at a special dinner
- Experience a traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony.
- Experience being a samurai warrior and learn the basics of Kenbu.
- Visit the iconic Fushimi Inari Shrine with its 10,000 red torii gates.
- Experience the speed of the iconic Bullet Train.
- Explore the contrasting shopping streets of Nakamise and Omotesando in Tokyo
- Take a boat ride on volcanic Lake Ashi and hopefully catch a glimpse of Mount Fuji
- Discover the breath-taking beauty of Kanazawa’s Kenrokuen Garden
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage listed Shirakawago village with its ‘praying hands’ rooftops
A glorious spot from which to explore the charming, cultural city of Kyoto, this elegant property seamlessly combines modern design with traditional Japanese touches. Choose from the staggering 17 UNESCO World Heritage sites, over 400 Shinto shrines and 1600 Buddhist temples in the city, marvelling over their ornate design and fascinating history. Explore traditional tea houses, sample the exquisi...
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details