One of the world’s most populous cities, Tokyo is a buzzing city filled with first-class attractions that make a few days spent exploring here an absolute ‘must’ on your tailormade tour of Japan.
Consisting of the south-western part of the Kanto region, the Izu Islands and Ogasawara Islands, Tokyo is a diverse city in and of itself, the political and economic centre of Japan and home to over 13 million people.
Old meets new here, where temples and gardens make way for ‘electric towns’ and vast skyscrapers. Simply wander the streets and you’ll be amazed at how the scenery and atmosphere alter from area to area; like Asakusa – a real contrast of old and new which is the essence of Japan.
Here you can walk slowly up a busy road packed with locals and tourists buying snacks and shopping for souvenirs, before arriving at Sensoji Temple where you find the same locals and tourists giving up offerings and praying for health, good luck and prosperity; a real environmental contrast in just one street is part of what makes this city so unique.
Sights not to miss include the Imperial Palace and Imperial Gardens, Sensoji Temple, Tokyo Skytree, Meiji Shrine, Tokyo National Museum, Ghibli Museum and Tokyo Disneyland; a family favourite.
You’ll be truly spoilt for choice, but with so much to see and do here, our expert team recommends these top attractions:
- Shinjuku – a bustling “sleepless” part of downtown, with lively bars, restaurants and a thrilling entertainment scene. The area west of Shinjuku station is home to Tokyo’s largest concentration of skyscrapers including the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building, KDDI Building and Park Tower.
- Ginza - for its luxury shopping!
- Shibuya – this well-known fashion centre is popular with younger visitors as it’s known as a place where new trends begin their life! Two of the busiest railway stations in the world are found here, and of particular note is the Shibuya Crossing located in front of Shibuya Station (made famous by Lost in Translation).
- Akihabara – also known as ‘electric town’ is fit to burst with electronics shops! More recently the area has become known as a centre for Japanese otaku and anime culture, with lots of shops specialising in anime, manga and retro video games. The architecture has a distinctly Blade Runner feel to it!
- Asakusa – this is where you’ll discover the Sensoji Temple, which is approached via Nakamise – a shopping street providing temple visitors with a variety of traditional, local snacks and souvenirs.
- Tsukiji – is one of the largest wholesale fish and seafood markets in the world. A great stop for foodies on their tour through Tokyo.
- Roppongi Hills – is a modern entertainment and shopping complex with restaurants, hotels, an art museum and an observation deck at the 238-metre-high Mori Tower.
- So much to see including Nijo Castle, Fushimi Inari Shrine, and Togetsukyo Bridge
- Explore Itsukushima shrine and admire the iconic floating Torii gate
- Take a ride on the amazing Bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo
- Experience a traditional tea ceremony
A gateway to terrific Tokyo and the rest of Japan, the Keio Plaza Hotel offers a warm welcome, the property showcasing contemporary interiors beautifully interspersed with traditional Japanese features. Japan is a land known for its uniquely delicious cuisine and, in keeping with this, Keio Plaza Hotel is home to a staggering 11 restaurants. Yamanami serves sizzling teppanyaki dishes, while Shun s...
Look out over the silvery cityscape of Tokyo from the city’s tallest skyscraper, housing the glamorous Ritz-Carlton Hotel with its indoor lap pool, sleek spa, Michelin-starred restaurant and so much more besides. Without a doubt, this is one of the most exquisite luxury hotels in Tokyo, exuding that quintessential Ritz-Carlton elegance through marble flooring, sumptuous textiles, tall ceilings and...
The Aman hotel boasts one of the most sought-after pieces of real estate in Tokyo, spanning as it does the top six floors of a 38-story skyscraper, overlooking the city’s lively Otemachi Business District. This means that impressive cityscape views are there to be admired night and day, from either your guestroom or suite, each of the four restaurants and bars, luxe indoor swimming pool, gym or su...
Step inside the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo, a den of decadence with its walls of glass overlooking the city from up high, and the finest interiors that bring together modern sophistication and local cultural heritage. Light-filled spaces are tastefully styled with framed kimonos, bamboo wood and flowers or bonsai trees, while gracious staff diligently tend to your every whim; whether that’s in the v...
The Park Hyatt Tokyo is an infinitely impressive luxury hotel, nestled across the privileged top floors – from the 41st up – of a modern glass-clad building in the city’s affluent West Shinjuku District. Inside, you’ll be treated to immaculately presented, modern interior design touches throughout every inch of the property, from polished coffee tables in your guestroom to a photo-worthy spa, mult...
Perfectly at home in Tokyo’s bustling city centre, The Peninsula Tokyo hotel is a beacon of five-star luxury, famously attentive service and more onsite facilities than most. Why not begin your stay with a stint in the spa? This evocatively-adorned space is among the best spa centres in Tokyo, romantically-lit like the inside of a Japanese lantern and offering all manner of Oriental, traditional a...
The Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi is undoubtedly exclusive, as well as being one of the most centrally located luxury hotels in the whole city that spans the 3rd to 7th floors of its host skyscraper building. It’s true that there isn’t a plethora of facilities on-hand, due to the property’s available space, but instead, you get a refreshingly boutique Tokyo hotel that carries the unmistak...
- Explore the Sensoji Temple and the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo
- Indulge in a gourmet Japanese Kaiseki dinner during your stay at a ryokan
- Discover “Shodo”, the art of Japanese calligraphy
- Be entertained by a Geisha or Maiko at a special dinner
- Experience a traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony.
- Experience being a samurai warrior and learn the basics of Kenbu.
- Visit the iconic Fushimi Inari Shrine with its 10,000 red torii gates.
- Experience the speed of the iconic Bullet Train.
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details