Nestled in the foothills of mountains, Thailand's second city serves as a laid-back contrast to Bangkok. Still, this fascinating place offers plenty of sights to see, as well as some thriving night spots.
Chiang Mai, Thailand's second-largest city is located in the north of the country towards the border with Myanmar.
Luxury Chiang Mai holidays retain a peaceful, friendly 'village community' atmosphere and offers a variety of attractions.
The city offers many cultural sights; visit the ancient Doi Suthep temple which boasts breathtaking views over the area or head to the 'Old Quarter' containing traditional wooden houses and surrounded by a moat to take in the sights.
The extensive night markets are fantastic with dozens of street vendors selling a variety of authentic goods, and visitors simply have to try their hand at one of the many classes on offer including Thai cookery, massage, meditation and Thai boxing.
Chiang Mai boasts plenty of trendy bars and restaurants and a lively nightlife. A highlight of any trip to Chiang Mai are the jungle treks up to the Hill tribe villages and elephant rides and bamboo rafting trips are not to be missed.
- Located 20 minutes outside of Chiang Mai among the emerald rice fields of Mai Rim Valley
- Stay in pavilions and pool villas in tropical gardens or opt for sumptuous residences with butlers
- Dine at three restaurants offering a delicious take on Northern Thailand cuisine and Asian specialities
- Try your hand at rice planting, Thai clay sculpture, bathing water buffalo, tie-dying and Thai cooking
- Experience riverside serenity on the banks of the Mae Ping River in the heart of Chiang Mai
- Get a sense of local culture with a cooking class, Muay Thai boxing, or a massage
- Discover Chiang Mai by tuk-tuk and explore the riverside markets, historical sites, temples, and Chinatown
- Relax at the 34m swimming pool overlooking the river with drinks brought to your lounger
This boutique gem is ideally located in the heart of Chiang Mai, along the popular east bank of the Ping River, close to the tourist sites, shops and restaurants. Stylish and contemporary in design, the accommodation is spread over three floors and most rooms offer river views. After a busy day sightseeing, relax by the hotel’s rooftop swimming pool or indulge in an in-room or poolside spa tr...
- Visit a market and select your ingredients before you try your hand at cooking
- Sample delicious delights such as dim sum, Hokkien noodles and Khao Kaeng
- Enjoy a lunch of Khao Soy, a noodle soup, after visiting some of Chiang Mai's important temples
- Explore the Royal Grand Palace and admire the famous Buddha statue at Wat Pho
- Bangkok’s intricate temples, vibrant flower market and impressive Grand Palace
- Thailand-Burma Railway Museum & the Bridge over the River Kwai
- Tuk tuk tour to explore the majestic ruins of former capital of the Kingdom of Siam, Ayutthaya
- Chiang Mai’s colourful markets and sample Thai delicacies at one of its street food stalls
- Bangkok’s majestic Grand Palace, Buddhist temples, and 46-metre-long reclining Buddha
- Traditional Thai Massage and sipping cocktails from the dizzying heights of one of Bangkok’s rooftop bars
- Ancient walls, vibrant street markets and majestic temples in Chiang Mai
- Explore Thailand’s Golden Triangle by Longtail boat and Tuk Tuk, interact with elephants
- Visit James Bond Island, the location of “The Man with the Golden Gun”.
- Witness the historic Bridge over the River Kwai.
- Travel to the stunning Buddhist temples seen in “Rambo III”.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on Other Shores
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
How and Where to Celebrate in Style
For lots of us, 2020 has been light on the good news. But even – or especially – in unexpected and ...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
The Best Luxury Hotel Spas in the World
Self-care and relaxation are the two things that are often left by the wayside when life gets busy ...Other Shores Team - April, 2022
The Luxury Wellness Retreats To Recharge At This Year
The Covid-19 pandemic has brought an untold amount of stress and worry for everybody. That's why, w...Other Shores Team - December, 2021
10 Jaw-Dropping Millionaire Holiday Hideaways
Since so many holidays have been cancelled or postponed lately, your next trip may as well be a big...Tom - February, 2022
Best Family Holidays for 2022
Family has never felt more important. If you're going to get the whole gang together and spend q...Other Shores Team - March, 2022
All Together Now: Holidays With Friends
2020 was a year of isolation, restrictions and a lot of cancelled plans. So, many of us are dreamin...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details