Perhaps most famous for its iconic Three Sisters rock formation, the Blue Mountains - just 90 minutes from Sydney, Australia - offers a place of incredible scenic landscapes to hike, photograph and explore.
Only 90 minutes’ drive west of Sydney, or an easy two hour train journey, the Blue Mountains offer a scenic, rural contrast to the vibrancy of New South Wales’ capital and Australia’s most populous city.
The main town is Katoomba, which is where most visitors to the area will base their stay. However, alternatives include nearby Leura and the more remote Wolgan Valley, where the luxurious Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is set.
The Blue Mountains area is one million hectares of natural beauty; comprising cliffs, canyons, forests and waterfalls. The area is all about immersing oneself in Australia’s stunning rural beauty, where you can horseback ride alongside kangaroos; explore the Jenolan caves; be taken on a tour into the eucalyptus forests with a local Aboriginal guide; or wander on foot to marvel at the rock formations and waterfalls, such as the Three Sisters (best admired from Echo Point), Katoomba and Wentworth Falls.
For an easier pace, you can ride the Scenic Skyway gondola across Jamison Valley and take a trip on the Scenic Railway, the world’s steepest incline railway; perfect for children who will love the thrill of the 400 metre descent. With its amazing views and rare flora, the Blue Mountains Botanic Gardens is a lovely place to spend an afternoon or retreat to an art deco café in Katoomba to write out your postcards.
Our team of Travel Specialists can add a tailor-made Blue Mountains itinerary to your Australia holiday, and suggest the best places to stay.
- Set on 7,000 acres of outback, encounter wild birds, kangaroos, wallabies and wombats
- The journey here is spectacular, whether you arrive by car or helicopter
- A personalised itinerary is created for you, ensuring you get the best from your stay
- Wake to the sights and sounds of wild birds and kangaroos hopping across the valley floor
Lilianfels Resort & Spa is nestled in two acres of manicured gardens on the edge of the majestic Jamison Valley in the heart of the World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains National Park. The hotel is steeped in history and celebrates its Victorian origins through its design, with ornate open fireplaces, crystal chandeliers and plush Victorian-style furnishings. There is a wide range of accommodation...
- Stay at some of Australia’s finest hotels, including eight Luxury Lodges of Australia in incredible settings
- Enjoy unique wildlife encounters with whale sharks, humpback whales, kangaroos, wombats, koalas, emus, and crocodiles
- Witness diverse landscapes, from outback wilderness and red deserts to coral reefs, wetlands, and tropical rainforests
- Experience many cultural and gourmet focused tours throughout with knowledgeable guides
The retreat makes full use of the beautiful surroundings with full width, floor-to-ceiling windows and spacious outdoor decks. Fitting for the beautiful Blue Mountains setting, here you’ll find a real sense of bringing the outdoors in. Spicers Sangoma Retreat is ideal both as a base for exploring the World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains, and as a place to relax and simply enjoy the serenity of na...
- Discover the ancient rainforests of Daintree National Park and Cape Tribulation
- Be whisked away by helicopter for a picnic lunch on a secluded sand island at Vlassof Cay
- Take in the stunning beauty of the Whitsunday Islands from the air on a helicopter flight to Whitehaven Beach
- Enjoy a private tour of the breathtaking World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains National Park
- Travel in a small group of up to 20 people on this luxury guided escorted tour
- Visit Aboriginal communities and guides who provide an insight into their culture, tradition, and their relationship with the land – including medicines derived from the forest itself
- Visit Australia's most iconic attractions including the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru and Sydney Harbour
- Discover the natural beauty of New South Wales' Blue Mountains and it's award-winning wines in the Hunter Valley
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on Other Shores
The Most Beautiful Places to Go Wine-Tasting This Year
Warm temperatures. Long sunny days. Clear blue skies. Amazing, gourmet food. What could possibly ma...Other Shores Team - May, 2022
Which One&Only Resort Should You Visit This Year?
When it comes to holidays, everyone's looking for something different. The One&Only Resorts portfol...Joanne - July, 2021
Top Tourist Attractions in Australia
The top tourist attractions in Australia come in all shapes and sizes! With history, arts, dining a...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
How and Where to Celebrate in Style
For lots of us, 2020 has been light on the good news. But even – or especially – in unexpected and ...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details