Attractive cities, historic sights, World Heritage-protected wilderness and stunning stretches of unspoilt coastline; the Australian island of Tasmania encompasses a host of travel experiences to be savoured.
Tasmania’s state capital, Hobart, is a vibrant mix of old and new. Australia’s second oldest state capital sits just upstream from the mouth of the River Derwent and features an attractive harbour, cobbled streets and colonial cottages, alongside quirky art galleries, tempting eateries and awarding-winning local whisky bars and distilleries.
Beautifully preserved Victorian architecture, museums and galleries await in Launceston, set slightly inland to the island’s north. Down on a south-eastern peninsula, Port Arthur is home to the ruins of Tasmania’s ‘inescapable prison’ and the place to be if you wish to immerse yourself in the fascinating and troubled convict history of the island.
Outstanding natural beauty abounds here. A short drive from Hobart you’ll find the charming town of Kettering. Take a ferry from the capital to discover the unspoilt beauty of Bruny Island, with its spectacular coastal walks and plenty of wildlife to spot. On the main island’s east coast, Freycinet National Park sits on a mountainous coastal peninsula and is the perfect place to be lost in nature. Cradle Mountain and its surrounding World Heritage-protected wilderness is another natural highlight. It is here you can hope to see iconic Australian wildlife such as platypus and the Tasmanian Devil.
Tasmania is Australia’s most southerly state and you’ll find the warmest temperatures and lowest rainfall here between December and February. With pleasant weather during Britain’s darkest winter months, this is the perfect destination for those wishing to escape the cold and embark on a varied and enriching travel experience ‘Down Under’.
Where to go in Tasmania
Occupying a coveted waterfront position in Tasmania’s capital city, with sweeping harbour views, MACq 01 has interwoven itself into the very heart of the island’s history, and showcasing a proud sense of place here is as much a feature as anything else. Guests here have the charmed chance to transport themselves back in time, as MACq 01 brings some of the island’s previous residents and their pers...
Once a jam warehouse, the hotel flawlessly merges its heritage and architecture with contemporary art touches everywhere. Exposed beams and bricks create an industrial-chic look, and as you move through the building you’ll note an eclectic mixture of handpicked pieces of art, over 500 in fact. While many have been created by graduates of the nearby School of Art and Design, others are the work o...
- Enjoy travelling in small groups to gain an in-depth understanding of Tasmania's convict heritage and history in Richmond and Port Arthur Historic Site
- Explore this remote island and its coastal fossil caves, visit the historic Darlington probation station and try to spot native wildlife such as wombats and wallabies
- Board the majestic steam train that follows the West Coast Wilderness Railway deep into the Tasmanian wilderness and rugged terrain
- Take a self-guided tour through the historic Woolmers Estate and Brickendon farm village and spend the night in an authentic convict cottage
- Indulge on premium wines during your Swan Valley Food & Wine Tour in Perth
- Spend a spectacular day exploring the Great Barrier Reef during your cruise
- Watch the sunrise at the stunning Kata Tjuta
- Join a guided tour of the Sydney Opera House
Modern amenities bring the rooms and suites into the 21st century with air conditioning, complimentary wi-fi, flat screen television and luxurious pillowtop beds. The gracefully restored glass-roofed atrium is flooded with natural light creating an elegant and delightful setting for the age-old tradition of afternoon tea with freshly baked scones, delicate finger sandwiches and sweet treats. The h...
- Enjoy a spectacular scenic flight over the wild central highlands of Tasmania and Macquarie Harbour
- Spend a full day hiking in the breath-taking Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
- Visit the impressive underground caverns Marakoopa and King Solomons Caves
- Board an eco-catamaran at Coles Bay for a serene cruise of Freycinet Peninsula and Wineglass Bay
Find out more in our blog...
How and Where to Celebrate in Style
For lots of us, 2020 has been light on the good news. But even – or especially – in unexpected and ...Other Shores Team - September, 2021
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
Which One&Only Resort Should You Visit This Year?
When it comes to holidays, everyone's looking for something different. The One&Only Resorts portfol...Joanne - July, 2021
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details