A vibrant mix of historic architecture and contemporary culture, a stay in Hobart has much to offer the inquisitive traveller.
Historic Hobart, Tasmania, sits on an attractive waterfront and is the second oldest state capital in Australia. Here you’ll find a host of attractive architecture, a buzzing creative scene and plenty of tempting eateries and bars.
Stroll around the sandstone environs of Salamanca Place, with its rare bookshops, cafes and boutiques. On Saturdays, this area really comes alive with the 300-stall Salamanca Market where you can peruse and purchase local arts and crafts alongside fresh produce.
Afternoons can be spent touring the city’s beautiful Botanical Gardens or visiting one of the many award-winning local whiskey distilleries. Come evening, head down to the picturesque harbour for a drink and bite to eat.
Historic sights greet you at every turn. We recommend taking the 175-year-old Kelly’s Steps up to Battery Point; one of the city’s oldest suburbs. Explore the cobbled streets and take a look at the attractive colonial cottages as well as taking in impressive views of the Derwent River.
Set on an Estuary, Hobart is also a great place to embark on a kayak tour of the coastline or catch a cruise out to the many small and picturesque islands offshore.
Art lovers will want to immerse themselves in the art scene here and shouldn’t miss the opportunity to visit the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA), a wonderfully quirky gallery that can be reached via a 25-minute ferry ride from Hobart itself.
Modern amenities bring the rooms and suites into the 21st century with air conditioning, complimentary wi-fi, flat screen television and luxurious pillowtop beds. The gracefully restored glass-roofed atrium is flooded with natural light creating an elegant and delightful setting for the age-old tradition of afternoon tea with freshly baked scones, delicate finger sandwiches and sweet treats. The h...
- Enjoy a spectacular scenic flight over the wild central highlands of Tasmania and Macquarie Harbour
- Spend a full day hiking in the breath-taking Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
- Visit the impressive underground caverns Marakoopa and King Solomons Caves
- Board an eco-catamaran at Coles Bay for a serene cruise of Freycinet Peninsula and Wineglass Bay
Occupying a coveted waterfront position in Tasmania’s capital city, with sweeping harbour views, MACq 01 has interwoven itself into the very heart of the island’s history, and showcasing a proud sense of place here is as much a feature as anything else. Guests here have the charmed chance to transport themselves back in time, as MACq 01 brings some of the island’s previous residents and their pers...
Once a jam warehouse, the hotel flawlessly merges its heritage and architecture with contemporary art touches everywhere. Exposed beams and bricks create an industrial-chic look, and as you move through the building you’ll note an eclectic mixture of handpicked pieces of art, over 500 in fact. While many have been created by graduates of the nearby School of Art and Design, others are the work o...
- Enjoy travelling in small groups to gain an in-depth understanding of Tasmania's convict heritage and history in Richmond and Port Arthur Historic Site
- Explore this remote island and its coastal fossil caves, visit the historic Darlington probation station and try to spot native wildlife such as wombats and wallabies
- Board the majestic steam train that follows the West Coast Wilderness Railway deep into the Tasmanian wilderness and rugged terrain
- Take a self-guided tour through the historic Woolmers Estate and Brickendon farm village and spend the night in an authentic convict cottage
- Travel to all eight states and territories of Australia on this Grand Tour
- Includes 14 excursions and experiences
- Visit iconic sights such as The Great Barrier, Sydney Opera House & Kangaroo Island
- Watch the sunrise and sunset at Uluru
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on Other Shores
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
Top Tourist Attractions in Australia
The top tourist attractions in Australia come in all shapes and sizes! With history, arts, dining a...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
How and Where to Celebrate in Style
For lots of us, 2020 has been light on the good news. But even – or especially – in unexpected and ...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
Which One&Only Resort Should You Visit This Year?
When it comes to holidays, everyone's looking for something different. The One&Only Resorts portfol...Joanne - July, 2021
The Most Beautiful Places to Go Wine-Tasting This Year
Warm temperatures. Long sunny days. Clear blue skies. Amazing, gourmet food. What could possibly ma...Other Shores Team - May, 2022
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details