Wellington is a gorgeous capital and an excellent place to learn more about New Zealand’s history.
Visitors can’t help but fall in love with this culturally-rich coastal city on the North Island, which has been described by the Lonely Planet as ‘the coolest little capital in the world’ – and it’s easy to see why!
Wellington’s compact size means it’s easy to get around on foot, but it’s also fun to hop on the traditional cable car which is more than a hundred years old and a real icon of the capital. It can whisk you up to the beautiful Botanic Gardens and an elevated lookout, promising sweeping views of the city and bay. From here you can really take in the beauty of Wellington and its surrounds.
What’s more, by basing yourself in Wellington you’ll find it easy to head further afield on day trips – whether that’s to the wineries of Martinborough and Cape Palliser in the Wairarapa Valley, nature reserves such as Zealandia or Red Rock, and of course the South Island, accessible via a three-hour ferry ride to Picton, passing the breathtaking Marlborough Sound along the way.
Back in Wellington itself, you won’t be short of things to do, particularly when it comes to food! The city is a gourmet haven, with exquisite restaurants, food festivals, breweries, bars and artisan cafés to try out. Also not to be missed is the atmospheric harbourfront and the national museum, Te Papa Tongarewa, particularly to gain a greater understanding of New Zealand’s geology, history, art and Maori culture.
- Small group tour visiting both North and South Island highlights with knowledgeable local guides
- Tranz Alpine Express rail journey through the south island's Canterbury Plains and spectacular Southern Alps
- Sail through the outstandingly beautiful fiordland's Milford Sound
- Discover Rotorua's geothermal fields, mud pools, geysers and volcanoes
- Discover the diversity of New Zealand's North Island, from the rolling farmlands and beautiful waters of the Bay of Islands to the volcanic landscapes of Rotorua and winelands of Hawkes Bay
- Join a guided walk through the Franz Josef valley right up to the glacier terminus
- Take an exhilarating jet boat ride along the spectacular Dart River in Mount Aspiring National Park
- Discover the outstanding natural beauty of Milford Sound on a nature cruise around this pristine fjord
One of the most stylish hotels in New Zealand, the QT Wellington features chic accommodation, a magnificent art collection and an award-winning restaurant, all within easy reach of the city. Dotted across the building you’ll find an astonishing collection of art that lends the entire property an atmosphere of cool sophistication that never feels too forced; indeed, the eclectic art and friendly se...
- Soak up the Bay of Islands natural beauty, sail around the bay and discover some of the 144 islands and secluded bays
- Visit the Hobbiton Movie Set, the bucolic setting featured in the Peter Jackson directed films, The Lord of the Rings and the 'Hobbit' Trilogies
- Discover New Zealand's geothermal pools, geysers , lakes and volcanoes in Rotorua and Tongariro National Park
- Explore Hawkes Bay with its Albatross sanctuary, art deco architecture of Napier and boutique wineries
- Explore the quaint villages and secluded beach of the Bay of Islands
- Visit Rotorua’s volcanic and geothermal attractions
- Take a tour of Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre with a park ranger and learn more about New Zealand’s unique flora and fauna
- Enjoy the pristine coastline on a private cruise in the Abel Tasman National Park
The InterContinental in Wellington provides polished five-star service and facilities right in the middle of downtown, just a stone’s throw from the harbourfront and surrounding museums. As such, you can simply step out of this shimmering skyscraper and find several of Wellington’s top highlights on your doorstep, though should you need a luxury transfer around the city – InterContinental’s conci...
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details