It may be a relatively small strip of land, but its position on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean means the country has a fascinating maritime history, as well as a great diversity of landscapes.
With golden sands, rich wines and scenic golf courses, our Portugal luxury holidays make for a dream getaway
From the sun kissed sands of the south, to the rolling mountains and vineyards of the north, a luxury holiday to Portugal has so much to offer.
Popular with families and couples alike, here you’ll discover some of Europe’s most beautiful Blue Flag awarded beaches, framed by dramatic cliffs in the Algarve. Packed with rustic charm, foodies will be in their element in the Douro Valley region, where you can wander terraced vineyards, stopping to sample renowned Port wine in the dappled shade.
To find world-class golf courses, look no further than Vilamoura. Not only is its chic marina the perfect stop for a luxury escape, but you’ll also find some of the continent’s most prestigious fairways to swing a club on, too. If you prefer to have a city to explore, then stay in the Lisbon area. Here, you’ll be able to dine on some fabulous Portuguese dishes, explore the wonderful cultural offering and even potter down streets that date back to the 8th century.
If you’re feeling tempted by the authentic luxury of a Portugal holiday, allow our Travel Specialists to create your tailor-made escape from our collection of five-star hotels and resorts.
Where to go in Portugal
- 19th century manor house renovated to create a contemporary yet sustainable property
- Set in a UNESCO World Heritage Site and wine region
- The Six Senses spa offers speciality treatments and multi-day programmes
- Enjoy wine-influenced activities including river cruises and winemaker days
With 154 spacious guestrooms, with an airy modern design, guest’s stay here is nothing less than luxurious. The hotel, part of the luxury Conrad group of hotels, offers a variety of leisure facilities, relax by the heated infinity pool with state-of-the-art underwater music system, or splash in the family-friendly Sensations Pool where there are private cabanas and the Dado Restaurant. Sporty typ...
- Dedicated children’s check in experience and exciting welcome treats
- Adventurers Kids Club with activities including arts and crafts, cooking, and sports
- Guests staying in the Anantara Vilamoura suites enjoy full butler service
- Soak up the sun at Purobeach Vilamoura beach club – accessed via complimentary shuttle
- Perfect for families, this resort offers baby concierge as well as kids’ clubs for all ages
- Get active and rent bikes to use on the resort’s purpose built pumptrack
- Enjoy endless opportunities to swim with five swimming pools and beach location
- Discover a purpose-built watersports center with fantastic windsurfing and other activities
- A great selection of rooms, suites, villas and apartments available
- Family-friendly apartments offer easy access to all facilities
- Children can play in the pirate ship at Porto Pirate village or join the Junior Club
- Finesse your tennis skills at the premier courts of the Annabel Croft Tennis Academy
Set within 2,000 acres of fragrant pine forests, sparkling lagoons and incredible championship golf courses, with plenty of nature paths and bird-watching spots this really is a haven for nature lovers and pleasure seekers. Nestled in the heart of the Ria Formosa National Park, you’re surrounded by incredible vistas in every direction. The accommodation's prime location gives it the privilege of b...
- Clifftop location with a secluded beach just steps away
- Complimentary shuttle to Nautica Beach Club offering an array of watersports
- Choose from 10 restaurants and six bars, including a wine cellar boasting over 11,000 bottles
- Unwind in the beautiful Vila Vita Spa by Sisley Paris with results-driven treatments
- Unwind in lavish spa treatment rooms that offer private terraces with ocean views
- Enjoy four of the best restaurants in Funchal including Michelin-starred William
- A variety of activities available including mountain walks and botanical tours
- Discover two heated swimming pools and a sea platform whisking you directly to the ocean
- Watch the sunrise from atop Pico do Areiro followed by a luxurious Champagne breakfast
Weave your way through the beautiful Portuguese countryside and emerge from the woods to discover Vidago Palace Hotel. This stunning belle-epoque style palace is over 100 years old, having reopened in 2010 after a major refurbishment. The inside of the palace provides chic, modern luxury, while also maintaining the grandeur of the original building. The Vidago Palace Hotel has a long legacy of dis...
Forming a part of the Pine Cliffs Resort, the Sheraton Algarve offers the opportunity for unique privacy and intimacy, without compromising your access to a whole host of top-end facilities. Take a round at Pine Cliffs’ immaculate 9-hole course, as the hotel has been voted leading golf resort in Portugal, or stay home in the comfort of your villa, enjoying the miles-upon-miles of unspoilt Atlantic...
Essential information when travelling to Portugal
Is Portugal open to UK tourists?
Portugal is currently open to tourists from the UK.
You can find out more about travel requirements in our Guide to the Traffic Light System or contact our Travel Specialists for more information.
When is the best time to visit Portugal?
Portugal is a favourite summer beach holiday destination for many, but one of the best times to go is between March and May. With fewer crowds, warm temperatures and the landscape in bloom, these spring months make a beautiful time to visit.
Alternatively, early autumn is ideal for sightseeing. It’s a little cooler, but the sea might still be just warm enough to take a few dips. If you’re looking to make the most of Portugal’s world-class wines, September and October offer the chance to witness grape harvests in full swing, too.
How to get there?
Flying from the UK to Portugal is easy, with many direct flights available from numerous airports. The flight time is usually less than three hours, making Portugal a fantastic short-haul destination.
If you’re visiting the Algarve region in the south, you will fly directly into Faro Airport, which is a short car transfer from many of the area’s best resorts. For city visits to Lisbon, you will be catered to with Lisbon Portela Airport. For the Douro Valley, you can use Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, which is roughly a 90-minute drive away.
The Best Things to do in Portugal
Blue Flag beaches
A luxury holiday in Portugal isn’t complete without relaxing on one of the beautiful beaches. The Algarve region alone is home to 87 Blue Flag beaches, which are blessed with golden sands, stunning scenery and wonderful facilities. This stunning stretch of coastline boasts numerous idyllic coves, with charming beach bars and pretty fishing villages to discover along the way.
What really sets them apart, though, is their incredible rock formations. Wind-swept rock makes for an impressive sight and some fantastic coastal walks. There are also prime conditions for watersports, too.
Of course, Portugal isn’t just about beaches. The Douro Valley has another claim to fame – it’s one of the oldest wine-producing regions in Europe, where Port production was first born. The area is even listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Flanking the Douro River, this peaceful valley is perfect for a luxury holiday to Portugal. With a relaxed atmosphere, beautiful scenery and some sumptuous five-star resorts on offer, you can fill your days exploring acres of vineyards, stopping for tastings of the finest produce, before returning to relax by your swimming pool.
Prestigious golf courses
For some people, a holiday to Portugal means one thing – golf!
Home to some of Europe’s finest courses, fans of the sport won’t want to miss out. In the Algarve, Vale do Lobo is world-renowned, boasting two 18-hole championship courses with stunning ocean views. In Vilamoura, there are five outstanding Dom Pedro courses to choose from, too, including the Victoria Course, designed by golfing legend, Arnold Palmer.
Find out more in our blog...
Our Top 10 Family Holiday Destinations
Family and travel have both become even more important than ever, recently. So, you might be one...Sophie - November, 2021
The Best Luxury Hotel Spas in the World
Well... this year's been a lot. During pretty much every week of 2020, we were bombarded with ba...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
Where to Find The Best Beaches in Europe
With so much stunning coastline to explore, listing the top beaches in Europe is no easy task. ...Jack - November, 2021
Edith Bowman On Her Perfect Algarve Family Holiday
A regular on TV and radio for nearly 20 years, Edith Bowman is a beloved household name. You mig...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details