St John’s is the oldest city in North America, and here you’ll find a refreshing blend of old and new.
Bright, technicolour houses blanket the hill on which the city is set, heading down towards the sparkling waterfront and busy harbour.
Quidi Vidi is a tiny fishing village with old-world charm and plenty of character; spend an afternoon here exploring the quaint antique shop and strolling the coast, before stopping for a drink or two at the village pub. For the best views of St John’s, make the climb up Signal Hill, which has a proud military history and offers unbeatable vistas over St John’s harbour and the Avalon Peninsula. The first transatlantic wireless signal was received here, and these historic roots are celebrated in Cabot Tower, where visitors can browse the Heritage Shop and discover more about the hill’s history.
Set amidst the natural beauty of Newfoundland and brimming with culture, St John’s also offers fantastic shopping and entertainment options, with a burgeoning culinary scene. After dining at one of the exciting restaurants, head to George Street for bars and live music – the area is particularly lively during the George Street Festival, which takes place each year in the summer.
- Discover the diversity landscapes and history while visiting all four of Atlantic Canada's provinces
- Experience the World's Highest Tides in New Brunswick and Hike a section of the new 700km Island Walk at Prince Edward Island
- Spend a day on one of Canada's most spectacular scenic drives - The Cabot Trail
- Spot the incredible humpback whales in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Enjoy an unforgettable wildlife experience as you board a cruise from Bay Bulls to cliffs that are home to Atlantic Puffins.
- Explore the colorful row houses of the downtown area of St. John's or discover the walking trails on your way to Signal Hill.
- Enjoy a city tour around St John's and visit some of its highlights such as the National Historic site of Cape Spear and the Signal Hill.
- Join a cruise through "The Narrows", home to the world’s largest concentration of humpback whales
- Immerse yourself in the unique lifestyle of Fogo Island with a three-hour guided walking tour.
- Discover Quidi Vidi, a scenic fishing village in St John's and the National Historic site of Cape Spear
- Look out for woodland caribou while driving through the scenic Avalon Peninsula, whales and puffins at Witless Bay Ecological Reserve and gannets at Cape St. Mary’s Ecological Reserve Seabird Sanctuary
- Visit historic lighthouses such Cape Race Lighthouse, where on April 14th, 1912 this station received distress calls from the HMS Titanic
- Drive along the Viking Trail, stopping to visit L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on Other Shores
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
How and Where to Celebrate in Style
For lots of us, 2020 has been light on the good news. But even – or especially – in unexpected and ...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
The Ultimate Guide to Visiting Atlantic Canada
A visit to the Atlantic provinces of Canada is to uncover a hidden treasure. In a country that ...Other Shores Team - April, 2022
5 of the Best Adventure Holiday Ideas for Families with Teens
If your teens get bored of the beach and won't be confined to a sun lounger, you might need some ex...Other Shores Team - February, 2022
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details