A truly impressive destination, ‘The Golden State’ has it all and then so much more. Whether it’s a city break or fly-drive, California holidays are full of surprises and hidden gems.
No state would be complete without a great city and San Francisco certainly does not disappoint. Home to the iconic landmarks of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island as well as, Alamo Square, Lombard Street and a fantastic Chinatown, San Francisco’s laidback atmosphere will leave you wanting more.
Driving only a short distance from the city, you are transported to the beautiful wine country land of Napa Valley and Sonoma County. With vineyard tours and Michelin-starred restaurants, relax and soak up the delights of this area.
Towards the border of Nevada lies pretty Lake Tahoe, a real hot spot for outdoor activities, as is Yosemite National Park. A visit to the jewel of the National Parks in California, Yosemite will quite literally take your breath away and is a must on any luxury holiday to California.
Travelling down from San Francisco on California’s Coastline passing rugged cliffs, waves lapping against the shore, beaches and redwood trees, there are plenty of reasons to pause your drive and stay for a night or two at some of the most breathtaking spots in California. With their own character and charms, the towns of Carmel, Monterey and Santa Barbara are our personal recommendations.
Towards the end of California’s coastline is Santa Monica, with its luxurious hotels, great beaches and chilled-out atmosphere, this is the perfect place from which to visit the studios and adventure parks of Los Angeles. Experience another of America’s great cities, San Diego, and explore the theme parks, quirky neighbourhoods and highly-acclaimed zoo here.
Where to go in California
- Sail under the Golden Gate Bridge on your private, former America’s Cup yacht
- Enjoy gourmet food and fine wine on your exclusive private tour of Napa wineries
- Embark on an exhilarating eco-rafting adventure on Monterey Bay in search of whales, dolphins and other marine wildlife
- Soar high above the Hollywood sign, Universal Studios Hollywood and the Beverly Hills homes of celebrities on a private helicopter flight
- In Palm Springs relax by the pool, play a round of golf or discover the nightlife of this desert oasis
- Take to the skies on a helicopter flight for a bird's eye view of the breathtaking Grand Canyon
- Be surrounded in the outstanding natural beauty of Yosemite National Park
- Take a self guided tour of Alcatraz, the former federal penitentiary for America's most notorious criminals
- Enjoy an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour, express access to theme park rides and shows with your VIP Universal Studios Hollywood tickets
- Learn to surf in Santa Barbara with our 1.5 hour surfing lesson
- Stop off at Piedras Blancas and watch the comical antics of the resident elephant seal colony
- Spend a day touring San Francisco on the Hop-On Hop-Off bus and take the ferry across to Alcatraz for a self-guided tour
- Take an eerie self-guided tour through the former high-security prison of Alcatraz where notorious criminals such as Mickey Cohen and Al Capone were once detained
- Stroll through the quaint seaside village of Carmel-by-the-Sea with its boutiques, galleries, pavement cafes
- Allocate a full day to enjoy the spectacular Big Sur coastal drive stopping at attractions such as Elephant Seal colony at Piedras Blancas and Hearst Castle at San Simeon
- Enjoy upscale accommodation and facilities at some of our favourite hand-picked Californian hotels
Located quite literally over Monterey Bay on the lovely Cannery Row, the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa is a beautiful waterfront hotel. Voted one of the ‘Top 25 Hotels in the US’ and regularly #1 hotel in Monterey by TripAdvisor reviewers and awarded a Forbes Four-Star Award, the Monterey Plaza is a perfect choice for a stay in the heart of the town. Accommodations are decorated in classic maritime ...
Located in the heart of the Carmel Valley amongst oak trees and vineyards stands the beautiful and tranquil Bernardus Lodge & Spa. This luxury retreat offers 73 accommodations scattered throughout 28 acres of gardens, orchards and vineyards. The rooms and suites offer a combination of old-world charm with modern sophistication, each featuring gas fireplaces, two-person soaking tubs, lavish king-s...
Set on 500 acres in Carmel Valley, the Carmel Valley Ranch is a 139 all-suite property with great family facilities, restaurants, spa and an impressive golf course. Recently renovated suites boast cathedral ceilings, pretty fireplaces and private decks. Guests will love the 9 tennis courts (7 hard courts and 2 clay courts), two outdoor salt-water swimming pools, two fitness centres, plenty of hiki...
Since 1919, The Lodge at Pebble Beach™ has welcomed visitors to this beautiful setting on the 17-mile drive of California’s coastline. Set beside the 18th hole of the Pebble Beach Golf Links course, the resort features an array of rooms and suites as well as excellent facilities. Choose from garden, golf course or ocean view accommodations, most of which feature a wood-burning fireplace. The Lodg...
The Inn at Spanish Bay is an idyllic retreat nestled amongst Monterey pines of Del Monte Forest, overlooking Spanish Bay and the Pacific Ocean on California’s Monterey Peninsula. It is equally luxurious and beautiful as its sister property, The Lodge at Pebble Beach. The Inn at Spanish Bay comprises 269 rooms and suites, most of which have a gas-burning fireplace. There are a choice of views ...
Situated in Huntington Beach, the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa is a wonderful resort hotel, with a beautiful ocean-side location. The resort is an attractive mix of Spanish-style architecture with contemporary décor and offers a variety of room types, all with balconies and views of either the resort or ocean. Aside from the beach, there’s plenty to do here with three swimming po...
Find out more in our blog...
Best Family Holidays for 2021
Family has never felt more important. Whether you were home-schooling (even through gritted teet...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
10 Filming Locations to Inspire Your Next Holiday
2020 might not have been the travel year that many of us were hoping it would be, but that didn't s...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
The Most Beautiful Places to Go Wine-Tasting This Year
Warm temperatures. Long sunny days. Clear blue skies. Amazing, gourmet food. What could possibly ma...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details