Best known for the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars running up and down the hilly city, the foggy sky and spooky Alcatraz Island, San Francisco has a recognisable and magical skyline.
It's no wonder it has frequently been voted one of the top-visited cities in the world.
With an open and inviting feel, San Francisco is a great starting destination before a fly-drive holiday down California’s coastline or across to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite National Park and Las Vegas, and is also a fantastic stand-alone city break holiday destination.
As with many big cities, San Francisco is best explored on foot and by using public transport including the famed cable cars; be sure to allow yourself time to wander through the quirky and different neighbourhoods.
With plenty of culture and museums, San Francisco is a diverse and multicultural city with a unique vibe. Enjoy the scenery walking along Baker Beach from where you can admire the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin Headlands.
We recommend stays in the upscale Nob Hill district, home to the famous ziggy-zaggy Lombard Street with its fantastic views, centrally-located Union Square where shopping and theatres are in their plenty, or bustling Fisherman’s Wharf, a fun destination for all with plenty of shops and attractions as well as seafood spots.
Spend a lunchtime wandering around Chinatown, both the oldest and one of the largest in the USA. Meanwhile up and coming SOMA, South of the Market, has many emerging restaurants and nightclubs to wile away the evenings. As well as an excursion to Alcatraz Island, which we highly recommend particularly at sunset for a more haunted experience, cycle the Golden Gate Bridge, and enjoy a guided day trip to the wine country or rent a car and do this yourself.
For wine lovers, Napa Valley & Sonoma County are two fantastic destinations for a day trip, if you don't have the time to spend a few nights, explore the wineries and see the stunning vineyard landscapes.
- Sail under the Golden Gate Bridge on your private, former America’s Cup yacht
- Enjoy gourmet food and fine wine on your exclusive private tour of Napa wineries
- Embark on an exhilarating eco-rafting adventure on Monterey Bay in search of whales, dolphins and other marine wildlife
- Soar high above the Hollywood sign, Universal Studios Hollywood and the Beverly Hills homes of celebrities on a private helicopter flight
- In Palm Springs relax by the pool, play a round of golf or discover the nightlife of this desert oasis
- Take to the skies on a helicopter flight for a bird's eye view of the breathtaking Grand Canyon
- Be surrounded in the outstanding natural beauty of Yosemite National Park
- Take a self guided tour of Alcatraz, the former federal penitentiary for America's most notorious criminals
- Enjoy an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour, express access to theme park rides and shows with your VIP Universal Studios Hollywood tickets
- Learn to surf in Santa Barbara or take a paddle board tour around the harbour
- Stop off at Piedras Blancas and watch the comical antics of the resident elephant seal colony
- Spend a day touring San Francisco on the Hop-On Hop-Off bus and take the ferry across to Alcatraz for a self-guided tour
- Take an eerie self-guided tour through the former high-security prison of Alcatraz where notorious criminals such as Mickey Cohen and Al Capone were once detained
- Stroll through the quaint seaside village of Carmel-by-the-Sea with its boutiques, galleries, pavement cafes
- Allocate a full day to enjoy the spectacular Big Sur coastal drive stopping at attractions such as Elephant Seal colony at Piedras Blancas and Hearst Castle at San Simeon
- Enjoy upscale accommodation and facilities at some of our favourite hand-picked Californian hotels
Enjoying a prime position in the vibrant SOMA district, St. Regis San Francisco is an enclave of luxury and sophistication right next door to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and pleasingly close to attractions such as Chinatown and Fisherman’s Wharf. Here you’ll enjoy warm and meticulous hospitality including the renowned St. Regis Butler Service, which is offered as standard across al...
- Discover many of San Francisco's attractions on the hop on hop off bus, including Chinatown, Golden Gate Bridge and Sausilito
- Take the ferry from Fisherman's Wharf to Alcatraz for an eerie self-guided walk through the former prison where some of the USA's most notorious criminal were held
- Enjoy wine tastings and gourmet cuisine surrounded by rolling vineyards or let us arrange a gourmet meal on board the Napa Valley Wine Train
- Discover the natural beauty of Yosemite national Park's glacial valley with its giant sequoias, open meadows, towering granite cliffs and plunging waterfalls
Occupying the top 11 floors of the iconic 48-storey 345 California Center in San Francisco’s Financial District, this stylish new addition to the Four Seasons collection offers city centre luxury and an unrivalled location just steps from Pier 39 and Union Square. The views here really are incredible – look out and you’ll spot San Francisco’s most famous and recognisable landmarks, including Coit ...
The Palace Hotel is a historic cornerstone of San Francisco, nestled within the beating heart of this great Californian city. Unashamedly grandiose, The Palace oozes the sophisticated glamour of the early 20th century while also presenting itself as a thoroughly modern hotel, boasting a comprehensive range of facilities to satisfy today’s discerning travellers. From the very moment you enter the ...
Located on the edge of Fisherman's Wharf nearby to Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square and the many attractions of this bustling and vibrant waterfront area of San Francisco, is the Argonaut, a Noble House Hotel. Set in the Haslett Warehouse dating back to 1907, the hotel has plenty of charm with its exposed brick walls, wooden beams and nautical-themed decor. The Argonaut is home to 252 rooms and sui...
This iconic and historic San Francisco hotel, built in 1907, sits on top of the affluent Nob Hill, a short cable car ride to Downtown, Union Square, Fisherman’s Wharf and the Financial District. Located at the only point in the city where all the cable car lines meet, the Fairmont San Francisco is the perfect choice for a centrally located stay in this cosmopolitan city. The hotel comprises...
Find out more in our blog...
All Together Now: Holidays With Friends
2020 was a year of isolation, restrictions and a lot of cancelled plans. So, many of us are dreamin...Other Shores Team - September, 2021
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details