The largest of the islands in Hawaii or Big Island, has two main airports, Kona in the west and Hilo in the east, and can be reached by a short flight from Honolulu (Oahu).
Big Island is bursting with history.
The island is said to be the first island set foot on by the Polynesian explorers from the Marquesas Islands. Visit the Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park with its native temple ruins and petroglyphs, the monument in memory of Captain Cook’s death and the church in Historic Kailua Village, built by the missionaries in 1820.
Big Island is perhaps best known thanks to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, home to the active Kilauea volcano. Found in 1916, the park is now a World Heritage Site and it is worth making a visit.
Drive the 17 kilometre Crater Rim passing the major attractions including; Kilauea Overlook, Jaggar Museum, Halemaumau Crater, Devastation Trail and the Thurston Lava Tube.
Other attractions on the island include the black sand beach of Punaluu on the south-eastern coast and Hilo’s museums, astronomy centre and botanical gardens. Spend an afternoon and evening in the Historic Kailua Village, once a favourite retreat of Hawaiian royalty, the village is now great for shopping, dining and nightlife.
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is set on the only white-sand beach on the Kohala Coast of Hawaii's Big Island. Located on the island's northwest corner, the hotel is well situated to explore cultural and archaeological sites including the Pu'ukohola Heiau National Historic Site where you can visit one of the largest restored temples in Hawaii. The hotel's 252 rooms and suites are decorated in light colour...
The Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is a rare treat of a five-star Hawaii hotel, as you won’t find many better-equipped, more stylishly designed beachfront properties anywhere else. The list of onsite facilities is a truly impressive one here, such as: the seven swimming pools (including four that are adults-only); everything you need for watersports, boat tours and helicopter island-hopping trips;...
Set on 32 acres by the beach on the Kohala Coast of Big Island, the Fairmont Orchid is an iconic Hawaiian hotel offering over 500 guest rooms and a great selection of dining options. The Fairmont Orchid welcomes families as well as couples and honeymooners to this glorious destination on the island. Many rooms at the Fairmont Orchid feature furnished lanai’s (balconies) from where it is possible ...
- Visit some of Oahu's famous sights such as Diamond Head and Hanauma Bay, Oahu's prime snorkelling destination, plus the famous surfing beaches of the north shore
- Known at the 'Pacific's Grand Canyon', take in mesmerising views of Waimea Canyon from the sky on a helicopter tour
- Enjoy an adventure along the famous road of Hana with 62 curves, 59 single lane bridges and awe-inspiring coastline views
- Explore the volcanic landscapes and lava tubes on the Big Island, Hawaii
- Explore to lush island of Kauai from the air, soar over the pristine and dramatic Na Pali coastline and Waimea Canyon, dubbed ''The Grand Canyon of the Pacific''
- Discover the exquisite beauty of Maui from the air on a 70-minute flight, taking in views of the crater at Haleakala National Park and the lush landscapes and scenic waterfalls of ''The Valley Isle''
- Take a full day tour around Hawaii's Big Island including a tour around the Volcanoes National Park
- Activate your inner adventurer with the Kainalu water sports activities at the hotel
- Learn all about Hawaiian culture and join exciting excursions with the Hale'I'Ike team
- Reset your health and wellness priorities at the fitness and spa facilities
- Putt like a pro on the two incredible 18-hole golf courses surrounded by Kiawe trees
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on Other Shores
Be Transported To: New York
Since most of us are stuck at home, we're transporting you on a journey to the Big Apple… Right fro...Hannah - December, 2021
All Together Now: Holidays With Friends
2020 was a year of isolation, restrictions and a lot of cancelled plans. So, many of us are dreamin...Other Shores Team - September, 2021
How and Where to Celebrate in Style
For lots of us, 2020 has been light on the good news. But even – or especially – in unexpected and ...Other Shores Team - September, 2021
The Best National Parks to Visit in America
The national parks in North America are some of the most awe-inspiring and beautiful destinations i...Other Shores Team - December, 2021
Best Family Holidays for 2022
Family has never felt more important. If you're going to get the whole gang together and spend q...Other Shores Team - December, 2021
The Most Beautiful Places to Go Wine-Tasting This Year
Warm temperatures. Long sunny days. Clear blue skies. Amazing, gourmet food. What could possibly ma...Other Shores Team - September, 2021
Amazing Travel Experiences For Your Post-Lockdown Bucket List
Sick of your sofa? Lost interest in your living room? Us too. The idea of travel has become even mo...Other Shores Team - August, 2021
10 Filming Locations to Inspire Your Next Holiday
2020 might not have been the travel year that many of us were hoping it would be, but that didn't s...Other Shores Team - November, 2021
One Day in... Greenwich Village, NYC
One of New York's most famous areas, Greenwich Village – or simply ‘the Village' to those in the kn...Other Shores Team - July, 2021
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details