Discover Holidays to South & Central America
If you’re looking for adventure, our luxury holidays to South and Central America are perfect. Home to some of the world’s most impressive sights, Latin America boasts a trove of travel inspiration. You can explore the magnificent Machu Picchu, hike through the misty Amazon Rainforest and meet rare, indigenous wildlife on the Galapagos Islands. From golden beaches to historic cities and natural wonders, discover the best of South and Central America holidays here.
South & Central American Holiday Ideas
The best way to experience a Latin American holiday is with a bespoke itinerary. Taking in some of the most amazing highlights, be inspired by some of our popular ideas or contact our Travel Specialists to tailor your own.
Essence of Costa Rica
- Have an up close experience of a volcano at Volcan Poas National Park
- Witness the diverse wildlife of Tortuguero National Park with your local guide
- Take in the panoramic views of Arenal Volcano
- Enjoy a relaxing time by the beach at Manuel Antonio National Park
Family-Friendly Costa Rica
- Visit a breeding ground of butterflies at La Paz Waterfall Gardens
- Paddle down the Peñas Blancas River
- Take an exhilarating zipline at Sky Adventure Park
- Relax by the coastline of Manuel Antonio National Park
- Enjoy the 360-degree views from Sky Costanera in Santiago
- Discover the extraordinary landscapes of San Pedro de Atacama
- Indulge in a wine tasting experience in the Chilean Winelands
- Explore the vast wilderness of Torres del Paine National Park
Chile Lake District, Atacama Desert & Easter Island
- Admire the unusual rock formations of the Atacama's Moon Valley
- See the mesmerizing landscape of the Salar de Atacama salt flats
- Explore the historic centre of Valparaiso in Chile
- Visit Easter Island, the most remote inhabited island in the world
Patagonia to the Atacama
- Admire the dramatic landscape of Patagonia
- Discover the salt flats and geysers of the Atacama Desert
- Enjoy a stargazing experience at Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa
Ecuador and Galapagos in Style
- Discover the preserved architectural treasures of Quito
- Ride aerial bikes through the treetops in Mashpi
- Join a horse riding tour in Otavalo
- Experience the diverse wildlife of the Galapagos Islands
- Cruise around Galapagos onboard the M/C Seaman Journey
- Observe Galapagos tortoises at Galapaguera
- Spot sea lions as you kayak around Gardner Bay
- See flamingos at Cormorant Point
Our tailor-made luxury holidays in South & Central America
South and Central America offers a vibrant patchwork for travellers to explore. This colourful, vast continent is rich in culture and heritage, dating from ancient civilisations to modern cities laden in history.
As for natural beauty, there are few areas of the world that can compare. In Costa Rica, you’ll find tropical beaches and bejewelled jungles. In Peru, admire the archaeological wonders. In Chile, the staggering Patagonian glaciers create a stunning backdrop.
With our luxury tailor-made holidays in Latin America, our Travel Specialists use their expertise to create your own bespoke trip. Whatever you want to see or do, we’ll take care of it for you, finding the most incredible hotels and experiences, just for you.
Where to Go in South & Central America
Explore the incredible destinations we recommend visiting on a luxury holiday to South and Central America. If you’d like more advice on where you should go, speak to our expert Travel Specialists
- Travel down the spine of the Andes and discover Chile’s incredible landscape. From the Atacama Desert, to Patagonia’s glaciers and verdant vineyards, unforgettable experiences await in this land of extremes.
- One of the most biologically diverse countries in the world, Costa Rica is first choice for adventurers. Explore cloud forests, raft along rapids and meet colourful wildlife in this tropical wonderland.
Top Luxury Hotels in South & Central America
Set within stunning landscapes, we’ve handpicked a luxurious collection of hotels to add to your travel plans. Ideally located close to the most incredible attractions, with all the 5-star touches you need, we’ll help find your perfect accommodation.
Arenal Springs Resort & Spa
- Exclusive, high-end and adults only resort located in the Volcano region of Arenal.
- Each villa offers a private plunge pool fed by natural mineral hot springs.
- A Relais & Chateaux property that is home to three of Arenal's top rated restaurants.
- Each villa is looked after by a private host to assist guests with anything they need during their stay.
- The extensive spa options give you access to treatment areas privately tucked away in pockets of Rainforest.
La Casona of Matetic Vineyard
- Luxuriously renovated country home located on a private wine estate in the Rosario Valley on the outskirts of Santiago.
- Excellent tours and tastings at the Matetic Vineyard are included in your stay.
- Organic and biodynamic winery attached to the hotel creates high quality wine
- Extensive range of excursions on offer, with a chance to really experience the local countryside.
- Equilibro restaurant serves high quality Chilean cuisine.
- Stunning location on the edge of the Torres del Paine National Park
- All rooms and communal areas with fantastic views across Lake Sarmiento and towards Las Torres.
- High quality spa and wellness offering with the aim of providing a perfect remedy to a day of activity in the National Park.
- Extensive range of excursions included in your stay with top quality guides
- Unique design of the hotel to seamlessly blend in with its environment using local materials.
- Highest quality accommodation option in Ecuador's cloud forest region.
- Unique hotel design in the heart of the cloud forest with panoramic, floor to ceiling glass windows for total immersion with the environment.
- 400 species of endemic wildlife can be found from the lodge.
- Positive community impact with huge emphasis on employing local people.
- The hotel is the perfect blend between luxury and comfort alongside engagement with the local environment.
South & Central America Holiday Highlights
From the Andean landscapes of South America, to the lush rainforests and Caribbean sands of Central America, there's so much to discover on a luxury holiday to this vast continent. Explore ancient ruins, sprawling deserts and towering mountains, all while being immersed in culture and history.
Incredible Adventures in South & Central America
Luxury holidays to South America and Central America offer the perfect opportunity to branch out on an adventure. Take a look at some of our top recommendations for your travel plans.
The Inca Trail and Sacred Valley
One of the most famous hiking trails in the world, the Inca Trail is a bucket list experience for many visitors to Peru. This ancient route was laid by the Inca civilisation, taking you from the Sacred Valley, through snowy mountains, cloud forests and staggering cliff edges, to Machu Picchu. The longest Inca Trail route takes four days to complete, though shortened routes are also available.
The Galapagos Islands
When you travel to South America, you’re bound to see some amazing wildlife. But, for a true wildlife holiday, an expedition cruise to the Galapagos Islands is essential. There is literally nowhere else in the world like these islands of Ecuador, some of which have barely changed in millions of years. The giant tortoises are often the headliners, but the array of curious animals and birds won’t fail to intrigue you.
Among the most iconic landmarks of a South American holiday is Costa Rica’s Arenal Volcano. A stunning sight, this active volcano once erupted over 40 times a day, creating an incredible landscape. Today, you can hike the rainforest, crossing the hanging bridges to spot waterfalls, hot springs and colourful wildlife, or kayak across the lake. Brave travellers can even zipline across the forest canopy.
Torres del Paine National Park
Describing Torres des Paine National Park in Chile’s Patagonia as ‘jaw-dropping’ would be anything but an exaggeration. The dramatic mountain landscape is capped with snow, while towering glaciers and rock formations are prime for adventure holidays. Offering a wonderful opportunity for hiking, its sheer vastness means some areas are best explored on horseback, kayak, or mountain bike.
For many travellers who embark on a luxury holiday to Latin America, learning more about the fascinating ancient civilisations who once lived there is high on their list of things to do. The Maya, Inca, Olmec and Aztec people all built impressive cities here, many of which can still be seen today.
Perhaps the most famous landmark in Peru, Machu Picchu’s complex citadel reveals some of the most fascinating secrets of the Incas. Its construction is a true feat, with over 150 buildings such as bath houses, temples and sanctuaries lining the mountain.
For those who want to see it, a visit to Easter Island can easily be arranged during a luxury tailor-made holiday to South America. Lying off the coast of Chile, this uninhabited island is shrouded in mystery. Its main draw is over 1,000 huge, monolithic ancient Moai statues carved from volcanic rock.
The gateway to Machu Picchu and the Inca’s capital city, Cuzco is packed with history and culture. Later influenced by Spanish colonies, you could spend enough time admiring the streets and alpaca wool in shop windows. But, nearby Sacsayhuaman and the Korichana Temple will tempt your with more tales from the Inca’s fascinating past.
Caracol Natural Monument Reservation
If you’re thinking of travelling to Belize in Central America, make sure you visit the remains of Caracol in the Cayo district. This ancient Mayan archaeological site features an impressive pyramid nestled in the rainforest at the foothills of the Maya Mountains. Join an expert guide to learn how people lived here thousands of years ago.
The stunning Andean landscapes of South America and the lush interior of Central America are beautifully diverse. Each area offers a different exciting world to explore.
The biggest rainforest in the world can be found in South America, the Amazon Rainforest. Spanning from Brazil into Peru and Colombia, it’s one of the most diverse natural habitats on Earth. Costa Rica, meanwhile, is known for its incredible Monteverde Cloud Forest. Journey through them and you’ll spot colourful wildlife, from rainbow-coloured frogs to sloths, jaguars and the beloved resplendent quetzal.
On your luxury holidays to South America, it’s highly recommended to see the astounding Iguazu Falls. Lying on the border between Brazil and Argentina, it’s the largest waterfall in the world, spanning almost 3km in width, with around 275 separate cascades. There are numerous viewing platforms and trails to see it in all its glory.
In contrast to the lush rainforests and cascading waterfalls, you’ll also find sprawling deserts when you explore Central and South America. Perhaps the most famous is the Atacama Desert in Chile. While it’s the driest desert on Earth, its otherworldly landscape will surprise you with geysers, geothermal pools and sparkling blue lagoons. With clear, dark skies and a world-famous observatory, it’s also a fantastic stargazing site.
Colourful Culture & Rich Heritage
The Andes region, which includes Peru, Chile, Ecuador and Argentina among other countries, has a unique and colourful culture with beautiful traditions. Soft alpaca wool is crafted into colourful weaved textiles, while elaborate ceramics and jewellery are also handmade. Local markets are the perfect place to admire them.
Lake Titicaca is wonderful for learning more about indigenous cultures. Early Andeans believed the lake was the birthplace of the sun, while today it boasts the claim of being the world’s highest navigable lake.
Rio de Janeiro is perhaps South America’s most famous city, with its colourful carnivals and Christ the Redeemer statue. But, don’t let this distract you from the other fascinating stops. Chile’s capital, Santiago, is beautiful, with incredible colonial architecture at Plaza de Armas and the Andean Peaks making a stunning backdrop.
Peru’s capital of Lima is equally charming, while also often being considered the gastronomic capital of South America – sample the Ceviche see why. Ecuador’s capital, Quito, meanwhile is built on ancient Incan foundations in the Andean foothills. With European and Moorish influences, there are numerous ornate buildings to admire.
If you love to relax in a beautiful sunny beach resort, a luxury holiday in South or Central America will have plenty to offer.
Costa Rica’s eco beaches
Costa Rica is famed for its natural sandy beaches lined with lush palm forests and rugged coves. Manuel Antonio National Park is the perfect example of just how important conservation is to the country. This unspoilt coastal reserve boasts pristine white sands and walking trails through the trees, where you can spot the birds and animals buzzing around you.
Belize’s Caribbean sands
Belize is equally as good for a beach holiday in Central America. With shores lining the Caribbean Sea, you can combine soft sands with ancient Mayan culture and vibrant rainforests. Belize is also home to the second largest barrier reef in the world, named the Great Blue Hole which circles the beautiful Belize Cays. Naturally, this makes Belize fantastic for snorkelling and diving.