Just over 1,000 kilometres off Ecuador’s coast, the Galapagos archipelago is one of the most important wildlife destinations in the world.
Named after the Giant Galapagos tortoises by explorers in the 16th-century, the islands were famously visited by Sir Charles Darwin, who was inspired by the islands’ finches to pen his book The Origin of Species. Made up of 19 islands, each with their own eco-system, the islands’ unparalleled beauty and remarkable wildlife means they are like nowhere else on Earth.
Isolated from the mainland over millennia and amid the stark volcanic landscapes, endemic species of flora and fauna have made the islands their home and due to the lack of human contact are completely fearless. Today, visitors to the islands can get up close to some of the world’s unique wildlife, and wander the breath-taking landscapes that make up the archipelago.
Iconic residents include vibrant Blue and Red-footed boobies, the Galapagos sea lion and the Galapagos giant tortoise. Visitors to San Cristobal Island are greeted by herds of seals who laze on the island’s pristine beaches, while a trip to Floreana Island is characterised by flocks of bright pink flamingos. The Galapagos is also famous for its penguins, which can be spotted around Fernandina Island, and its imposing Marine iguanas, which are easily spotted on Santa Cruz Island. The underwater world is just as magical; spot dolphins, sharks, turtles and colourful tropical fish as you snorkel or take a cruise on a glass bottom boat.
The Galapagos are best explored from the comfort of a ship, or for the non-seafaring folk, opt for a land-based stay with daily excursions. As well as endlessly fascinating wildlife, there’s scenic hikes, breath-taking landscapes and excellent watersports to be enjoyed here; from scuba diving and snorkelling to kayaking and biking, there are lots of ways to explore this awe-inspiring place.
A visit to the Galapagos Islands is the perfect addition to a holiday to Ecuador; perhaps explore Quito’s historic Old Town or wander coastal Guayaquil’s colourful streets before heading to the Galapagos Islands for a once in a lifetime wildlife experience.
For more information on holidays to the Galapagos Islands and multi-centre breaks including Ecuador, call our Travel Specialists today.
A first-class expedition catamaran, the M/C Seaman Journey carries up to 16 passengers and boasts elegant, contemporary décor. Featuring just eight comfortable cabins with private bathrooms, the Seaman Journey feels spacious yet intimate. Relax on the large sundeck where al fresco dining is also available, or sip a cocktail watching the sunset from the onboard bar. There is a small library for tho...
- Some of the most spacious cabins of any Galapagos cruise with large panoramic windows in every room.
- 12 guests per expert naturalist guide for a more in depth experience.
- Exclusive island visits with 84% of the sites visited not shared with any other ship visitors.
- One of the few cruises in the Galapagos to have an onboard doctor to assist passengers with anything whilst they are away.
- A Carbon neutral Galapagos boat operation with high importance on creating as little impact on the local environment as possible.
- Cruise around Galapagos onboard the M/C Seaman Journey
- Observe Galapagos tortoises at Galapaguera
- Spot sea lions as you kayak around Gardner Bay
- See flamingos at Cormorant Point
- Discover the preserved architectural treasures of Quito
- Ride aerial bikes through the treetops in Mashpi
- Join a horse riding tour in Otavalo
- Experience the diverse wildlife of the Galapagos Islands
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details