Almost every holiday to Peru includes a stay in Cuzco, marking the start of the Sacred Valley of the Incas and the gateway to the Inca Trail and the spectacular ruins of Machu Picchu.
The city itself is stunning: elegant colonial architecture, grand churches, monasteries and convents interspersed with modern bars and hotels and pre-Columbian ruins. Almost every narrow, cobbled street in the centre of the city displays remains of Inca walls, arches and doorways, with ancient stonework providing the foundations for the city’s modern buildings. Still inhabited by Quechua people, the city is a living, breathing, thrilling monument to history and pre-Hispanic architecture.
Holidays to Cuzco aren’t complete without spending at least a couple of nights enjoying the city before heading off to the Sacred Valley or up to Machu Picchu. Believed to have been founded in 1100 AD, the ancient Inca capital is packed with historic sites to explore; as well as the most famous Inca site in Peru, Machu Picchu, there are many other highlights to discover nearby, including Sacsayhuaman with its giant interlocking stones and the Mara salt terraces which have been mined in the traditional way for centuries. Within the city itself, the colonial art on display at La Catedral and the Museo de Arqueologia is worth a look, and there are lots of colourful markets selling locally-produced crafts. Cuzco holidays should include some of the city’s beautiful converted colonial buildings which have become stylish hotels, full of character and often featuring original Inca foundations.
Most holidays to Cuzco begin in the city as the starting point for wider exploration of the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. At an elevation of 3,400 metres, Cuzco is at the ideal height above sea level for optimum acclimatisation to the altitude before beginning a trek along the Inca Trail.
Travelling by train up to Machu Picchu or through the valley has become an increasingly popular way to travel thanks to luxurious services like the Belmond Hiram Bingham, leaving from Poroy just outside the city. The most indulgent way to reach the ruins and continue onwards to Urubamba is in 1920s-style Pullman coaches, with peaceful cabins, polished dining cars and a bar car with live Peruvian music.
Right in the heart of Cuzco, Monasterio, A Belmond Hotel, Cusco is a luxurious hotel ideally located beside the bustling central square. The building itself is a former monastery and national monument, dating from 1592 and originally the site of an Incan palace. Now a captivating Belmond hotel, it combines centuries-old charm and ambience with luxury service, inspired restaurants and boutique roo...
The new Andean Explorer, A Belmond Train, Peru is the ultimate way to travel in style. Admire spectacular views of the Andean landscapes; from the dazzling blue waters of Lake Titicaca, and the deep Colca canyon to small traditional villages in the altiplano and the towering snow-capped peaks. During the day, enjoy gorgeous views from the open observation deck or the sumptuous lounge bar. Sleep...
- Learn about the Peruvian history in Lima
- Explore the vibrant markets and ancient ruins of the Sacred Valley
- See the magnificent structure of Machu Picchu
- Visit the Brazilian and Argentinian sides of Iguazu Falls
- Stroll around the historic city of Lima
- Explore the charming town of Ollantaytambo
- Marvel at the breathtaking sight of Machu Picchu
- See the Moai statues in Easter Island
- Enjoy the stunning views of the Urubamba River
- Witness a breathtaking sunrise at the iconic Machu Picchu
- Journey through Peruvian Highlands onboard the luxurious Belmond Andean Explorer
- Visit the key highlights of Lima including Plaza de Armas
- Enjoy the stunning views of Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve
- Navigate the sparkling Lake Titicaca by boat
- Take the luxurious Belmond Sleeper Train to Cuzco
- Learn the history of the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu
- Explore the Peruvian Amazon with your knowledgeable guide
- Learn more about the rich indigenous culture of the Sacred Valley
- Take a tour around the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu
- See the chocolate-making process in Cuzco
With a location at the heart of arguably one of Latin America’s most beautiful cities, guests are perfectly placed to explore the narrow avenues and broad plazas right on their doorstep. Here you’ll find traditional architecture with plenty of modern, luxurious touches. For example, the hotel’s classic central courtyard features an inviting, heated swimming pool; perfect for a refreshing dip after...
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details