Latin America, where Spanish, French and Portuguese jostle in a hubbub of vibrant cultures, landscapes and peoples.
This sprawling mass includes only twelve sovereign countries (including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Uruguay), alongside French Guiana (technically part of France), and the disputed British Overseas Territory of the Falkland Islands. That’s despite covering an awe-inspiring area of almost 7 million square miles.
Its countries are mostly large, but the diversity contained within them - and even within one city in one country - illustrate the fact that South America is bold, diverse, and unique.
Most of the continent’s population gather near the coasts at the east and west, whilst vast swathes of the interior remain untouched; glorious pristine wilderness.
Brazil is South America’s largest country. It’s where more than half of the population of the whole continent live. Alongside amazing wilderness in the Amazon interior, Brazil contains bustling cities like Rio de Janeiro (with its famous Ipanema and Copacabana beaches, sitting beneath the outstretched arms of the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue) and Sao Paolo, offering up diverse arts and cultural experiences, as well as the constant backdrop of music (especially if you visit Rio at Carnival time), and a passion for food.
In Salvador, African-Brazilian heritage intertwines, offering delicious food, the amazing dance-come-martial arts spectacle which is capoeira, and a party atmosphere. It’s truly when gliding through the Amazon’s tributaries, weaving through green and lush forests in a canoe, keeping silent watch for the elusive jaguar, though, that you understand the true richness of this enormous country.
The wonders of Peru keep on coming. Its capital, Lima, is a true South American foodie must-see (it’s the only city in the world to host two of the world’s top ten restaurants, from the top 50 list). There is also Cusco, which is perched up in the Peruvian Andes, and positively overflowing with Spanish and Incan influences. Many travellers know Peru for its ancient seat of empire, of course - Machu Picchu. Cusco is a great starting point from which to tackle the hike to this 15th century Incan citadel, perched almost 2500 metres above sea level.
Amazing Bolivia nestles between Peru and Brazil. With its landscape of salt flats, ancient forests and lakes, all set against the backdrop of the Andes, it offers potentially some of South America’s most implausibly photogenic scenes - though it’s a hard-fought contest in this fabulous continent.
Stretching down from the bottom of Peru through the whole length of South America, Chile offers 4000 miles of rugged coastline. A thin 200 miles wide at maximum, it is cut off from the rest of the continent by those snow-capped Andes to the east, and 1000 kilometres of beautiful, barren Atacama desert to the north, separating it from Peru.
It takes in all sorts of climates as it stretches south, with the geographical extremes of its landscape reflected in the diverse lives of its population, from the altiplano’s alpaca herders to Patagonia’s cowboy gauchos to the high business of the capital, Santiago. Transfer from Chile to Easter Island, to face the ancient wonder of the Moai statues.
Even further south, of course, lies Antarctica. Most Antarctica trips start from the most southerly city in the world - the Argentine city of Ushuaia, in the southern reaches of Patagonia. Head from here out around the world-famous Cape Horn, across the Drake Passage and into the ice-cold, glacial waters of the Antarctic Peninsula.
This wonderous continent has so much richness to offer. Get in touch today to get advice on making the most of your Latin America tour.
- Have an up close experience of a volcano at Volcan Poas National Park
- Witness the diverse wildlife of Tortuguero National Park with your local guide
- Take in the panoramic views of Arenal Volcano
- Enjoy a relaxing time by the beach at Manuel Antonio National Park
- Visit a breeding ground of butterflies at La Paz Waterfall Gardens
- Paddle down the Peñas Blancas River
- Take an exhilarating zipline at Sky Adventure Park
- Relax by the coastline of Manuel Antonio National Park
- Enjoy the 360-degree views from Sky Costanera in Santiago
- Discover the extraordinary landscapes of San Pedro de Atacama
- Indulge in a wine tasting experience in the Chilean Winelands
- Explore the vast wilderness of Torres del Paine National Park
- Learn about the Peruvian history in Lima
- Explore the vibrant markets and ancient ruins of the Sacred Valley
- See the magnificent structure of Machu Picchu
- Visit the Brazilian and Argentinian sides of Iguazu Falls
- Visit the highlights of Rio on an open-top jeep excursion
- Stroll around the cobbled streets of Paraty
- See the thunderous Iguazu Falls from Brazilian and Argentinian side
- Enjoy some relaxing time by the beach in Buzios
- Admire the unusual rock formations of the Atacama's Moon Valley
- See the mesmerizing landscape of the Salar de Atacama salt flats
- Explore the historic centre of Valparaiso in Chile
- Visit Easter Island, the most remote inhabited island in the world
- Admire the dramatic landscape of Patagonia
- Discover the salt flats and geysers of the Atacama Desert
- Enjoy a stargazing experience at Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa
- Stroll around the historic city of Lima
- Explore the charming town of Ollantaytambo
- Marvel at the breathtaking sight of Machu Picchu
- See the Moai statues in Easter Island
- Enjoy the stunning views of the Urubamba River
- Witness a breathtaking sunrise at the iconic Machu Picchu
- Journey through Peruvian Highlands onboard the luxurious Belmond Andean Explorer
- Visit the key highlights of Lima including Plaza de Armas
- Enjoy the stunning views of Salinas y Aguada Blanca National Reserve
- Navigate the sparkling Lake Titicaca by boat
- Take the luxurious Belmond Sleeper Train to Cuzco
- Learn the history of the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu
Our World, Your Way
One of the most trusted names in luxury travel
Over 40 years’ experience in worldwide holidays
Fully bonded and protected
We use our first-hand expertise to create a bespoke holiday
We’ve spent years establishing industry-leading contacts
Insider knowledge: our team travel to all our destinations
We get to know you personally, so your trip is perfect for you
You’ll be looked after by your own personal Travel Specialist
From meet & greets to private transfers – we’ll make it happen
On hand when
you need us
24/7 assistance throughout your holiday
Our travel experts take care of you every step of the way
Our dedicated concierge team will take care of all the details